The purpose of the Eagle Historical Society is to collect and preserve printed materials and material objects illustrative of life, conditions, events, and activities of the past and the present, especially in the history of Eagle village and township, Waukesha County, and the surrounding area.
Located in an 1893 courthouse, the Waukesha County Museum is a not for profit organization, preserving and sharing the history and culture of Waukesha County. We educate and inspire visitors at every stage of learning. A new permanent exhibit, Les Paul: The Wizard of Waukesha is now open at the Waukesha County Museum. The exhibit chronicles his life as a young boy through his years of fame. Rare guitars and priceless artifacts are used to tell the inspiring story of the man who put a dent-in-the-universe by inventing the Gibson solid body electric guitar and sound-on-sound recording.
A Brookfield Landmark
This stately Greek Revival Inn, once stood at the corner of Bluemound and Watertown Plank Roads. It was built in 1842 by Talbot Dousman, whose brother’s son Hercules, later built the Villa Louis in Prairie du Chien.
In 1857, Daniel Brown purchased the property and ran it as a stagecoach inn to accommodate travelers using the plank road that ran from Milwaukee to Watertown, Wisconsin.
After 1875, railroads supplanted stagecoach travel and the inn became a farm owned by Frederick Zimdars. From 1887 to 1980, its owners were Charles Dunkel and his descendent, John Behling. John Behling donated the inn to the City of Brookfield who leased it to the Elmbrook Historical Society.
In 1981, the inn was moved by the Elmbrook Historical Society to its current location at 1075 Pilgrim Parkway in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
Since then, society volunteers have restored and furnished the Inn with beautiful authentic antiques to the period when it was a stagecoach inn. In addition, outbuildings have been added: The Donaldson Visitor’s Center/Gift Shop which was originally a 1852 log cabin, an Ice House, a Smoke House, a Wagon/Blacksmith Shop, and the Old Woodside School Bell Tower.